January 2009 was an exciting month for Policypitch.com!
New pitched ideas:
January Web Stats:
- 1,063 unique visitors.
- 2,261 visits.
- Over 19,000 page views.
Other important info:
- Two new team members joined Policypitch: William Kelleher and Preston Emory.
- 10 new blog posts.
- Titter account launched! Check us out @policypitch.com
- Site re-design underway! New features include legislative tracking, real time statutory editing, collaborative tools, constituent management system, and more! Please give us feeback on what you want!
Part 2 in our series about how the Utah Senate is effectively using social media to increase transparency and provide for a more participatory democracy.
In addition to the amazing initiatives by the Utah legislature discussed yesterday, the Senate has an entire web page dedicated to web 2.0 technology entitled “Your Government 2.0 Lab.” Citizens can connect on Facebook or Linked In, and even keep constant tabs on Twitter.
Some of their government 2.0 initiatives to increase transparency, proliferate information, and promote citizen engagement include:
- SenateMobile: important updates from the senate – sent as text messages to your cell phone.
- SenateCam: a user-controlled web cam usually stationed in the president’s office.
- SenateTube: live-streaming video for press conferences and special events.
- Senate Floor Debate : historic archive (audio and now video) of discussion on the senate floor.
In their own words:
The Utah State Senate is committed to making government work the way it was envisioned: a stable republic maintained by an informed, engaged citizenry. Web 2.0 offers a few new tools that might help. We’ll see.
Got ideas? We’d love to hear them. If you are on LinkedIn, consider joining Government 2.0, a network of citizens and professionals exploring the use of New Media tools in government communication.
Policypitch.com is now on twitter! twitter.com/policypitch
Follow us for the latest news feeds, blog posts, new local policy ideas, and policypitch website updates! Help us get to 100 followers by the end of the week! (currently at 37).